- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 packets instant yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 4 quarts water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Combine all ingredients using mixer. Knead for 8 minutes with dough hook.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rest for 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer dough to a clean surface. Divide into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- Poke a hole through the center of each ball, stretching the hole with your fingers until about 2 inches wide. Let bagels rest for a few minutes while preparing the water bath. Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prepare water bath by heating water and sugar in a large pot. Bring water to a boil over high heat, then turn down to medium-high.
- Place bagels in the water bath, 2-4 at a time. Cook the bagels for one minute, flip, and cook for one more minute. Remove the bagels from the water and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake bagels for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.