Denise Fidler – The Country Baker
- 2 cups Salted butter (softened)
- 2 1/2 cups Brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup Barley malt powder (malted milk powder)
- 2 Tbsp Real vanilla
- 2 Large eggs
- 5 cups Freshly milled hard whole wheat flour such as Prairie Gold (or unbleached white bread flour)
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 cups Chocolate chips
- 2 cups Pecans or walnuts (optional) (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups Rolled oats (optional replaces 2 cups of flour)
Preheat oven to 375°. Cream first 4 ingredients until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, until well blended. In large bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, nuts and oats (if desired).
Shape into 2″ balls, place 3″ apart on parchment lined sheets or greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Note: Dough should be thick and not sticky. If sticky, add more flour after making a test cookie.