Shar Lomax – Shar’s Bosch Kitchen Center
- 3 cups Warm water (115°)
- 1/2 cup Barley malt syrup
- 1/4 cup Potato flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Saf instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp Kitchen Resource Dough Enhancer
- 3 cups High gluten bread flour
- 3 cups Fresh ground whole wheat flour
- Additional whole wheat flour (adding in kneading process)
- 2 Tbsp Honey (for boiling water to cook bagels)
- Egg wash (for top of cooked bagels)
Mix ingredients thoroughly on speed 1. Continue to add whole wheat flour until dough cleans sides of the bowl. Keep dough soft (not as stiff as bread dough). Knead until gluten develops (7-8 minutes). Add more water if necessary.
Weigh out 3 oz pieces for small bagels, 6 oz pieces for large bagels. Shape each piece into a smooth out to make doughnut shape. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Let rest 10-15 minutes. While dough rises, bring 3 quarts of water plus 2 Tbsp honey to a boil. Lower bagels into water and boil 30 to 45 seconds on each side. Drain. Brush with beaten egg wash. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, etc. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes (or until golden brown).