Ian Black – Winnipeg Bosch Kitchen Centre
- Double corn bread (recipe next page)
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Celery (chopped)
- 1 Small red pepper (chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 can (4 oz) Mild chiles (rinsed, seeded and chopped)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Dried thyme
- 3 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- Salt & fresh black pepper to taste
Prepare Double Corn Bread a day or two in advance or have frozen up to 6 months. Break up into large chunks about the size of very large croutons. Place in shallow baking dish and cover loosely with clean towel. Let dry for 1 or 2 days.
Roll dried pieces into crumbs between your hands in a large bowl. Melt butter in large skillet. Sauté onions and celery until almost soft, about 5 minutes. Add red pepper. Sauté another 5 minutes and add minced garlic during the last minute of frying. Next add sautéed vegetables and all remaining ingredients to crumbs in large bowl. Mix until well blended. Add salt & pepper to taste. Cool.
Use for stuffing chicken, Cornish hens, and turkey.