Happy National Ice Cream Month! Did you know in 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day? We always love to have an excuse to eat more ice cream!
To celebrate the holiday, we want to share 21 fun facts about ice cream with you.
1. It takes 12 pounds of milk to produce 1 gallon of ice cream.
2. The USA consumes more ice cream than any other country, followed by Australia and Norway.
3. The most popular ice cream flavor is vanilla, then chocolate.
4. The majority of Americans (87%) have ice cream in their freezers.
5. The tallest ice cream was over 9 feet tall in Italy.
6. The average American eats 20 quarts of ice cream per year.
7. Chocolate syrup is the most popular ice cream topping in the world.
8. Ice cream was introduced to America in the 1700s. The frozen treat was considered a delicacy and was only enjoyed by the wealthy.
9. Next to cookies, ice cream is the most popular treat in America!
10. 9% of all milk produced in the U.S. is used to make ice cream.
11. It takes 50 licks to finish an ice cream cone.
12. The most ice cream is produced during the month of June.
13. California produces more ice cream than any other state in the United States.
14. The perfect temperature for scooping ice cream is between 6 and 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
15. An average dairy cow produces enough milk to make over 9,000 gallons of ice cream during her lifetime.
16. The United States produces the most ice cream in the world.
17. The ice cream cone is considered the official state dessert in Missouri.
18. More ice cream is sold on Sundays than any other day of the week.
19. In Canada, more ice cream is sold during the winter months than in the summer.
20. The first ice cream parlor in America was founded in 1776.
21. In ancient Rome, they enjoyed “ice cream” which was snow flavored with fruit and honey.
Did you know that your Bosch mixer can make ice cream? Check out the ice cream attachment here, and then try these fun ice cream recipes to celebrate National Ice Cream Month!
We hope you enjoy lots of ice cream!